Natalie Ambrosio | September 30, 2016
A valued but nearly forgotten history rests beneath the wet grass of Notre Dame’s Cedar Grove Cemetery, where several decorative rocks lie scattered among the headstones. One rock is adorned with a weathered green plaque marking the grave of “Pottawatomie Indians.”
Several bodies were moved to this site from a nearby Potawatomi burial ground in 1928. These days, few on campus pause to consider what and who was here before Father Edward Sorin’s famed arrival in 1842. Yet when we do we will find a story still alive today.