North Dining Hall Undergoes Renovation

Colleen O'Connor | February 2, 2017

Ndh Exterior

Back in 1957, when an average car sold for $2,750 and a dozen eggs cost 28 cents, the North Dining Hall was built on the last open space on the North Quad. Thirty years later, in 1987, the hall was expanded with the addition of a second level. Now, 60 years later, the building is undergoing a major structural and interior overhaul.

Says David Harr, associate vice president for Auxiliary Operations, “There has been significant growth on the northeast side of campus with addition of new residence halls. In cooperation with the Divisions of Student Affairs and Facilities, Design and Operations, we are pleased to renovate and reinvigorate the North Dining Hall in order to support these changes.”

The scope of the renovation includes:

  • Improvements in the existing servery stations to improve speed of service as well as enhance food preparation and menu items; structurally there will be one big servery instead of several smaller ones
  • New kitchen equipment
  • Conversion of the Grab ’n’ Go to a fresh foods market, including hot items to go
  • A new allergy-free, gluten-free area where students can “make their own”
  • New east entrance to better serve students living on the Mod Quad and the new East Quad
  • New social space in the south lobby, including a lounge area with televisions
  • Renewal of furniture and seating options in the dining room in addition to new carpeting
  • Refurbishment of all major building infrastructure systems, including mechanical, electrical and plumbing
  • Exterior enhancements including landscaping and a new sidewalk on the east side

Read more here.

 by Daily Domer Staff

Posted In: Features