Notre Dame Athletics | October 23, 2019
ENTERING GAME 7: TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS
- Prior to the break, Notre Dame defeated rival Southern Cal at home, 30-27, on an impressive effort from all three phases. RB Tony Jones rushed for a career-high 176 yards, while K/P Jonathan Doerer put his name in the Irish record books as the first Notre Dame kicker to make three field goals of 40 yards or more in a single game.
- For the first time in Notre Dame history, an Irish team recorded six touchdown passes in two games during the same season (vs. New Mexico and vs. Bowling Green). The six touchdown passes match the Irish team record for passing touchdowns in a game.
- With 52 total points vs. Bowling Green, it marked the second time this season the Irish recorded at least 50 points. The last time Notre Dame reached that plateau in multiple games in a season was in 2011 when the Irish did it twice (vs. Air Force and vs. Navy).
- Against Bowling Green, Notre Dame’s 35-0 halftime lead was the largest since opening a 35-0 halftime margin over Rutgers in 1996.
- The Irish notched a top-10 ranking for the 24th-consecutive week — the fourth-longest active streak in college football (behind Alabama, Clemson and Georgia). This is the most consecutive weeks within the top 10 for Notre Dame since 1991 (50).
- Notre Dame has been ranked in the top 25 for 37 consecutive weeks, the longest such streak for the Irish since the 1997 season.
- The contest vs. Virginia marked the second-consecutive week Notre Dame appeared in the week’s highest-ranked matchup (lowest total of both squads’ rankings). From 2015-2018 among all FBS teams, it has only happened three times: Alabama (Weeks 7-8, 2016; Weeks 10-11, 2018) and Penn State (Weeks 8-9, 2017). As the current AP rankings stand, the only other team with back-to-back top-ranked matchups in 2019 was Florida in Weeks 6-7. No other team is currently scheduled to take on the same slate.
Read more here.